Thursday 21 June 2007

If I were a gambling man ...

I took a gamble today ... instead of walking up to the roof to have lunch with everyone else I wandered out into the street.

There I found a chap and his son running a grilled corn stand. By stand I, of course, mean a hand-cart piled high with corn and by grilling I mean an old tire with the hubcap reversed to form a bowl and the corn placed directly into a bed of charcoal. The corn is cooked up and then rubbed with lemon and salt. Very delicious and quite strange to be the only white guy on the street (ever on this trip) kicking back and eating street food. They were very nice and wrapped the corn in the husks so I wouldn't get my hand dirty as I ate it.

So the gamble is ... was this safe? Am I about to go down with some horrible stomach upset? Cast your votes ladies and germs.

In addition - yes there's more - there was a gang of transvestite beggars accosting the general area. (This is a thing over here: A transvestite caste connected to wedding ceremonies; have a link who are forced to beg.) Very odd. Not very effective begging since the only English they knew was "Money! Money!" No offense India, but the crackheads in Hollywood have better technique.

8 comments:

liza said...

If by technique, you mean trying to sell you a single shoe, then yes. However, since I wasn't there, I'm making a movie of this encounter in my head. Come on: transvetite dudes saying/singing "Money! Money! Money!" you hear ABBA too, you know you do.

Anonymous said...

you will paint the bowl brown.

Anonymous said...

Corn? It all depends if your street vendor was wearing his regulation sterile plastic gloves (like the ones they use at Togos) If these gloves were not used or your street vendor used his left hand in any way, shape or form then hepatitus booster up! However, yellow is your color.
B-

Anonymous said...

Liza is one funny girl!

I predict your continued good health. Old Iron Stomach, that will be your new monikor.

CG

Unknown said...

Ahh Hello there, is anybody out there? You are falling woefully behind on your blogging my friend. What's your excuse, that your working 14 hour days. Whatever. Cry me a river and then start blogging bitch!
cg

Anonymous said...

Oh no here I go again! That last comment was'nt Bradley's. though I am sure he would share the sentiment. It was mine. Way to go with the pearls man!
CG

Anonymous said...

yep.
B-

Estuary Witch said...

Ouch. Start a blog and get random abuse!

:)

The corn is declared safe - the fiery craziness kills all known germs. Hurray